1) Some people argue that teaching children of different abilities together benefits all of them. Others believe that intelligent children should be taught separately and given special treatment. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
2) Some people think teachers have a greater influence than parents in the development of a child’s intelligence and social skills. Do you agree or disagree?
3) Children who are brought up in families which don't have large amounts of money are better prepared to deal with the problem of adult life than children brought up in wealthier families. Do you agree or disagree?
4) It is generally acknowledged that families are now not as close as they used to be. What are the possible reasons for this and what can be done to reverse the trend?
5) Some people think the best way to reduce crime is to give longer prison sentence. Others, however, think there are better alternative ways to reduce crime. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
6) Some countries introduce a law to limit working hours for employees. Why is this kind of law introduced? Do you think it is a positive or negative development?
7) In many cities, planners have separated schools, homes, shops, and offices in specific areas that are widely separated from each other. Do you think advantages of this policy outweigh the disadvantages to the city residents?
8) Many countries aim to improve living standard by economic development, but some important social values are lost as a result. Do you think the advantages of economic development outweigh the disadvantages?
9) Some people think that by paying taxes they have made enough contribution to their society, others think there are more responsibilities than paying taxes. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10) Differences between countries are becoming less evident nowadays. People tend to have the same films, music, brands, TV channels, etc. To what extent do you think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages?
11) Today, a range of technology available increases the gap between the rich and poor. Some people think it produces the opposite effects. Discuss both views.
12) It is now possible to perform everyday tasks, such as bank transaction, shopping or even office works, without meeting people face to face. What are the effects it may have on individuals and the society as a whole?
13) With the increasing use of mobile phones and computers, less people tend to write letters. Some people even think the skill of writing letters will disappear completely. To what extent do you agree or disagree? How important do you think letter writing is?
14) Many people believe that the increasing use of modern technology at work and in leisure is reducing people’s creativity. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
15) In many countries，the proportion of older people is steadily increasing. Does this trend make positive or negative effects to society?